First Christian Church traces its extraordinary heritage to the dreams of Joseph Hostetler to establish a church in Decatur. He preached his first sermon in 1833 in the log courthouse located on the property currently inhabited by the Transfer House.
From its birth, First has been renowned for its foresight, dedication, and beyond expected service to the community. The sacrificial giving of this church family has always made it possible to achieve its God-given vision. Towards the end of the 1800s, the congregation moved to a new building on Church Street near downtown. Later, in 1913, the building was replaced with a classic brick-and-stone structure that’s still in place today.
In the 1980s, the congregation began to talk and dream about re-establishing it’s ministry to the continually stretching boundaries of north Decatur. In 1996, this dream became a reality, when the facility on North MacArthur was completed.
It only took 18 months after completion for the new facility to be expanded to help facilitate the growth in ministries. Lots of new space was added, making room for twelve classrooms and a gym (which is now the Student Center where The Well can be located).
First is continuing to find new ways to connect with those in Decatur and surrounding areas. For nearly two centuries, First Christian Church has sought to provide a place of Christian community, while reaching out to a hurting world.
Over the last 15 to 20 years, church attendance has grown tremendously. First Christian Church even added a forth worship service on Saturday evenings starting in July 2011 in order to better serve the congregation.
One distinctive of First is the many people who come from various church backgrounds and have chosen to make First their home. Many more have discovered their walk with Jesus at First.
It is the mission of First Christian Church to develop devoted
followers of Jesus Christ by growing and serving together.